Friday, July 20, 2012

Post Traumatic GROWTH



What is posttraumatic growth? It is positive change experienced as a result of the struggle with a major life crisis or a traumatic event. Although we coined the term posttraumatic growth, the idea that human beings can be changed by their encounters with life challenges, sometimes in radically positive ways, is not new. The theme is present in ancient spiritual and religious traditions, literature, and philosophy. What is reasonably new is the systematic study of this phenomenon by psychologists, social workers, counselors, and scholars in other traditions of clinical practice and scientific investigation.
What forms does posttraumatic growth take? Posttraumatic growth tends to occur in five general areas. Sometimes people who must face major life crises develop a sense that new opportunities have emerged from the struggle, opening up possibilities that were not present before. A second area is a change in relationships with others. Some people experience closer relationships with some specific people, and they can also experience an increased sense of connection to others who suffer. A third area of possible change is an increased sense of one’s own strength – “if I lived through that, I can face anything”. A fourth aspect of posttraumatic growth experienced by some people is a greater appreciation for life in general. The fifth area involves the spiritual or religious domain. Some individuals experience a deepening of their spiritual lives, however, this deepening can also involve a significant change in one’s belief system.


Now this is an idea I can get behind!  Maybe it's just a fancy word for what some lucky survivors have been experiencing for many years.  I want this to be true for me.  I went back to my trauma therapist even though I posted that I graduated.  I had a relapse, a trigger.  She talked about attachment disorders and somatic therapy, then suggested I take a week's vacation and do something that fills me up. That's a fun assignment and I know just how to do it.  

Since I recognized my trigger, and got past the feeling that I was in a dream state, I have been feeling better.  I also have had some really tremendous support from friends and family.  It's critical to have good people in one's circle and to acknowledge their help.  People give more freely than I imagine and I am needlessly embracing my shame of having to ask for help.  so.....THANK YOU!


1 comment:

  1. Hmmm. Interesting concept. I think that growth is almost always spurred by pain or discomfort of things not working as is. Whether it is positive or negative growth (or some combination thereof) depends on a lot of factors. Most significantly, the ability to be introspective and adjust as new situations present themselves.

    I have learned a lot through the bad stuff that has happened to me. I have probably grown in ways that never would have happened any other way. However, would I wish this sort of growing pain on anyone else? Nope.

    ReplyDelete