Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Narcissist at Midlife: Decompensation


The following excerpt is from the very informative site,  Web Of Narcissism.  Written by the site's founder, it is a revealing account of the collision of mid life and narcissism.  I was reminded so much of my partner  and his self importance which grew more intractable as he aged.  The notion of ending a marriage after 33 years is worth an explanation.  For me, I came to terms in the last 6 or more years that my husband's character would forever remain juvenile.  He was more than stubborn about maturing, he made a lifelong commitment to never doing it!  I think this essay will help you to understand why it was not possible to "save" my marriage and how his decompensation made it impossible to proceed toward a peaceful loving last third of life.

The Narc at Midlife: Decompensationby CZBZ
What does decompensation mean?
“Worsening psychiatric condition: the deterioration of existing psychological defenses in a patient already exhibiting pathological behavior.”  

Decompensation is a removal of the props (ego defenses) sustaining an inflated self-esteem that was unable to 'compensate' for an injury of some kind. In other words, decompensation occurs when the narcissist’s grandiosity is not validated by reality; their self image is impossible to sustain. At midlife, with all the struggles human beings have, narcissists have feelings of hopelessness, inadequacy, desperation, and confusion. Feelings they cannot tolerate, nor process.  
Midlife taxes narcissistic defenses, challenging aging individuals to mature. People with 'undeveloped narcissistic traits' will suffer, perhaps even  experience a crisis. That doesn't mean they can't grow and develop. Heinz Kohut suggests maturation is a lifelong process developing immature aspects of ourselves. That's the current thinking about a 'normal' person's midlife transition. 
 The midlife narcissist is someone who cannot swallow his pride and as a result, vomits on the person closest to him or her. That would be the partner who for years, supported them through thick-and-thin, becoming increasingly weary of the narcissist’s incessant demands. It’s not that we lack empathy or become indifferent (though some do, it depends on the relationship), we are tired. Maybe there's a furrowed brow setting off the narcissist's crisis---maybe our individuation triggers their fears of abandonment or their envy. I don't know. What I do know is that partners are splattered with traits and behaviors the narcissist cannot claim as his or her own. 

I started writing about narcissism on the Midlilfe Crisis forum back in 2003, after learning about a disorder called NPD (Narcissistic Personality Disorder). I had hoped my partner would work through his problems losing control, losing status, becoming another ordinary cog in the wheel of life; that he would eventually realize that escaping reality was less enjoyable than embracing it. That he would wake up one morning with a strange woman in his bed and recognize how much he loved and valued his family. That even if his wife was too weird for words, his children needed him. This did not happen. If the midlife narcissist has not shown signs of taking responsibility for behavior that hurts the people who loved and supported him for years, he likely won’t. He’s likely unable to face the destruction he caused, if he even realizes it (or is capable of bearing the truth long enough to see that HE is his biggest problem. Not the role he played in the family, nor the prickly personalities of family members).
It is never easy to tolerate the Walk of Shame when a person makes a mess of their lives. It’s painful processing ‘humiliation’ into ‘humility’ no matter where you are on the narcissistic continuum. If your unstable self-esteem is threatened by your mistakes and errors,  self-deception may appear to be an easier way out. Instead of falling into supine reflection on human weakness, narcissists become  grandiose, other-blaming and arrogant. 
The ability to face disappointment and accept other people's willingness to forgive your mistakes is not something narcissists are capable of doing. Anytime we are forgiven by others, we surrender our power to BE FORGIVEN by  another person holding the power To Forgive. They will or they won't---their forgiveness is not in our control. This is an untenable situation for a narcissist who must maintain the perception of superiority, especially if he or she sees other people as inferiors. Imagine a peon forgiving The King? Instead of appreciating someone's willingness to even consider forgiveness (which may be a long term process), the narcissist projects fault and blame others and thus, exculpating himself from guilt and remorse. What's to forgive? His malicious wife intentionally bought the wrong type of lettuce for gawd's sake what else can a man do but seek comfort from the Ms. Radicchio? 

The midlife crisis with all the accompanying destruction people do to their lives when the Inner Child (or Inner Adolescent) is given free reign to act impulsively, selfishly and without consideration for others, is very hard to resolve. Depending on the degree of narcissism, the person-having-a-midlife-crisis may NOT be able to face themselves after losing ‘face’ in their community. 
It takes a strong foundation of self and self-worth to admit to having harmed people you cared about because you were behaving like an petulant child. Still, people are able to reconcile wounded relationships--both parties willing. My assumption was that everyone would do whatever they must to clean up the messes they made at midlife when our human limitations stick out like sore thumbs and mortality becomes a certainty. I was wrong.



13 comments:

  1. Omg! And here I am waiting for him to come to his senses! I've been waiting for the light bulb to go on in his brain. In vain it seems. Everything you wrote is spot on. Why did I find him in my life's path? So hard to start again after 28 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, they don't change. You need to come to your senses and create the life you want for yourself regardless of wether you stay or go. As for why we find these partners in our life path, generally we are over- endowed with care giving skills. It's strange to feel penalized for "caring" but when we do this in excess we forfeit our own self care and just end up resentful and in very lonely partnerships.

      The lightbulb moment that you are having is awesome. I hope it leads to a happier path!

      Delete
  2. This was a fantastic post. It's too bad we have to go through this, to realize just how special we are - just as we are. Self care - what a concept!

    You correct - they don't change and don't hold your breath waiting for them to come home and miss their families. Ego itself wouldn't allow that to happen and who would want it at that point anyway..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in this situation after 35 years of marriage. I cannot fathom how much destruction one person can cause and not see that he is the one causing it. Blame, lies and projection are his tools. My head understands all of this, but my heart won't accept it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have been married 35 years. The last 3 years have bren unimaginable. Filed for separation just to deal with financial destruction due to his secrets, lies. He just countered for divorce. Blames me for everything. It is all my fault for his infidelities, secrets, lies. Leaves horrible messages than says how much he misses me. Emotional abuse taken to a whole new level. Even texts our adult children eith horrible messages... heartbreaking.

      Delete
    2. First off, thank you for writing this article. This is a much more common occurrence than I had ever even known, sadly enough. I am currently going through the exact same experience! My husband and I have been together for over 27 years. He is a police officer and the person I knew I could count on with my life (or so I thought). He has always been selfish and has done many very damaging things in our marriage. I have always forgiven him, as a Christian and wife, it's what you do when you truly love someone. One day, out of the blue, everything became my fault and he can't forgive me. Forgive me?? What have I done?? He stated that he needs to be happy and his happiness is all that matters, not mine. He stated that he is going to be selfish because he deserves it! He has been lying and has been having an affair, for who knows how long. How do people like this live with themselves? Advice for moving ahead? I do know that God has good things in store for me. It is still so painful and unimaginable. Thanks for this, it explains A LOT!! To all who are experiencing this, prayers and hugs.

      Delete
  4. Treat yourself gently and your heart will heal. Mine did, even though I had many moments of little faith. Being here means you are on your way. Love, mary anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Took me almost 10 years to realize my ex husband was a sociopath. I left six years ago and I have made it part of my "recovery" to recognize narcissists and sociopaths and why I attract them.... They are all around us and normal empaths do not recognize them. You have to be awake, aware and educated to finally "see" who they really are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great article.
    I just had my wife anger 2 months ago she is 45 and i am 55 w 2 kids 7 and 11 and new baby 1yr.
    Recently just discoverd abiut Narcissim as i was reading an article about Trump. As i search narcs i was shocked that my wife has the traits. So few days i followed my wife after wirk and she went to drink coffee and sèemed deprised as usuall last few months.
    Suddenly she saw me and went to follow me close home and was so angry and shouting.

    As we talked she started her superiority and she is tired of me as she alwayes working and supporting home .
    Qhich is true she is hard worker and iwas working bwfire hard and helped her establish her center. As my work fall down ahe was diing good.

    But alwayes denied i helped or was their at home w kids as she was working hard and late.
    We had a house maid tgat helpwd.

    She was trying to talk and devaluse me and all the narcs stuff. Ahe wvwn brought divorce up.
    She claim that when i met her she was in deprwssiin or bad situatiin.

    Next day i tried to get close to her in bed suddenly she jumpwd and atart yiling i hate u a. I am discuastwd i will vomit.
    So.i staywd away and we talked. She was very swriius and very visious.
    So i tried few days laylter but no thing.
    She silentvtreat me and alwaeya in the room alone and sporting as a challeng to get in shape.

    She was redy for her vacation with the kids.
    Kids try alwaeyes to avoid her as she shouts at them and namws some times. So thhey try to stay away from her.

    I tried to tell why she treats them like that. I became the proble.

    Nkw she is on vacation w the kids and she tild me not to follow tgem

    I talked witg her older sister and she told to relax when shw goes therw they will talk.

    Sister tried ti say that 45 is minapause age for women and she has thyroi issue. Tgen she said she is nervous system defect.

    Also i know my wife was on antidepresant many times.

    I am tring to know what is her situation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom denies anything about my narc dad, she thinks I'm making it all up about how he talks ugly about her to o the her people, brainwashed and 77 yrs old

    ReplyDelete
  8. The father of my child is a narcissist. I went through my pregnancy alone,emotional and suicidal. From the psychological damage he had caused. He cheated on me when I was 9 weeks pregnant. So I left. He came snooping around about 5 months later looking to "repair our relationship for our/my son." He led me on from Dec. Until March when my son was born. The entire time cheating on me unbeknownst to me. He sent the other woman money on valentines day (without telling me) all while call me his valentine and buying me a rose. He then decides a week later to whine how his mistress isn't here and how she went to Cali to get laid. That should have been my wake up call but it wasn't. So a month passes I go into labour and have him drive my mother and I to the hospital. We get there and he says "I have something really important going on at work today, I have to go." Still deluding myself for his sake I make nothing of it. I have a beautiful baby boy 6 hours later, no complications. The next day I call him. Asking if he can pick my mother, my newborn, and I up. He says "of coarse! Do you want to take the Buick?" In my mind what Buick I've been driving your scrub ass to work for the last 3 months. I hear a voice in the background saying "of coarse you can use my car!" I felt like I was gut punched. I politely get off the phone. I realize she came up from Cali, I felt like I'd been gut punched. I text him angrily "if you and your whore come to the hospital today I will involve hospital security and the police." I immediately called my stepdad and ask him for a ride home. I later find out that she can't have children and he wanted a messed up love triangle of including my son, him, her and I. Months later I found out she got pregnant in Cali on his money. Long story short a narc doesn't even care about his own son, he would rather raise someone else's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I changed, but not from a sudden acquisition of conscience. It took reaching a substance abuse bottom and seeking help. My wife did wait for me and I am so grateful. Maybe I wasn't a true narcissist, but I had most of the behaviors described. I think if a narcissist truly wants to change, and is able to find enough humility (in my case, be beaten to near death by an addiction) and can accept some guidance, then maturing is possible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am currently going through this with my wife.. From all the research the last 22 months I have it down to Chaos Kid Mid Life Crisis with what I think are Narcissistic traits.. We have been together 16 married 15 with 3 kids 14 boy 12 boy 11 Daughter. I will be honest this being my second marriage I never planned on getting married again until I met a man over a car I owned that he wanted to buy.. we became good friends and he had a very pretty Philippian wife about 15 yrs his jr. another person had just come back from their and a few months later his fiancé showed up.. very pretty.. while talking and watching videos from his trip I noticed a girl and I instantly inquired about her. she ended up being the first ladies niece, and the other mans sister in law.. 4 months later I am their and 10 months later she was here.. she was very quit and home oriented Christian with strong family values and the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. in November of 2017 my Father passed her in our house with us by his side and I noticed how much that had affected her.. being the youngest daughter her father was very strict with her..when my dad passed I had major things going on as the one taking care of my parents trust, 1 brother trying to sue me, I wasn't sleeping, putting new roof on house, by February she asked if she could have a girlfriend.. a lesbian girl from work because I couldn't give her the emotional support she needed. I thought it was like a college thing because I joked 1 time about her bringing a friend with us and she thought that was discusting anyway by April she wanted a Divorce and this girl meant more to her than Me in only 4 mo of only seeing her 2 times a month.. from that point on every single problem has been my fault.. the 2 of them gas light me and with everything else going on I snapped the official finding hyper active brain disorder that was stress induced so from that point on I only sleep 1 time a week it also came with Bipolar/PTSD/Anxiety Disorder/ Insomnia which put an end to my 20 yr. job of driving commercial truck, so we lost insurance, most of my friends and all of her family, she transferred all our accounts into hers.. gets what ever she wants.. gets the kids stuff when they deserve it and I have to start world war 3 to get gas money to take our kids to school.. everything she says to me is a straight out lie, she will deny and defend until I drop proof on the table if no one else is around she will play it off like that I told you that weeks ago.. if someone else even are kids are around and see her caught in a lie.. theirs a week of silent treatment and some other vindictive bullshit. like a sleepover at her girlfriends the weekend of my birthday, inviting her mom out to eat with her and I on our Anniversary.. the lies, manipulation lack of family values, complete abandonment of Morals, 180 on sexual wants and orientation.. she is the only family I have left and she will go out of her way to hurt me it tears my heart out.. I finally told her I am selling the house and moving cross country that seems to have calmed her down the last 2 months... but I am not stupid.. I know she is just planning.. last month she had 28 hours talk time on her phone with her girlfriend I had 1.6 with her, this month her gf 22 hours me 19 minutes she says nothing when she leaves for work and nothing when she comes home. I said I love her more than anything and loosing her would tear me apart but watching what she has turned into is 20 times worse.. the love of your life hates and blames you for everything plus you have the bonus of watching her fall in love with someone else. I just had my 50th birthday she is 35 the kids are old enough they see what is really going on the 2 younger ones want to go with me the oldest wants to stay.. at some point you have to stop trying to save her and save everyone else and whats left of you..

    ReplyDelete