Monday, January 2, 2012

Welcoming The New Year

I don't often make NewYear's resolutions mostly because I don't want to dissapoint myself by failing to keep them but this year I made one.  I'll let you know if I'm successful!  Did you make one?

Something I've been thinking alot about lately is the myth of the the Knight in Shining Armour.  I know I've had a history of rescuing others and I wonder if my own desire to be rescued is tied to that.  Strangely,  I don't feel I've ever actually been resuced and yet the desire persists.

Part of it I know is my wish to be relieved of responsibilities and be child-like.  We all have a bit of that I think.  I wanted to be resuced when my burdons feel too heavy.

What I am discovering is that I must rescue myself.  I must be the one who cares unconditionally about my welfare and I must act on my own behalf.  As long as I am conscious, it is my job to care for myself.   I don't want to fully believe it. I am clutching to  the fantasy that I can return to a child-like state and be cared for, protected and lovingly embraced. Is giving this up part of the maturation process?  Is the process of becoming one of total self reliance where we finally give up our infantile needs?


Another idea I have been thinking about is my desire to one day be truly loved by a partner. I did not have that experience in my long marriage, not as I understand it to be. (If I did have it I'd still be married.) Loving is the result of conscious intention over time.  It survives the daily grind and overcomes the pettiness of ego.  Fragile as it may feel, love is an anchor.  I hope I live long enough to say that I have been truly loved, cherished and honored by another, not my child, not my parent, not a sibling but an intimate "other".  Is there a place in a truly loving partnership where we can spend a moment in a child like womb and be fully protected by another.  I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment