Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Self Destruction

Tonight I was reminded by my daughter of the self loathing that drives acts of addicts and abusers.  Just past my frustration of his behavior is a deep sadness for his life.  Imagine making your self image dependant on the demeaning of others.  It is through this that he can, if only for an instant, relieve the pain  of inadequacy.  Imagine believing "I am not good enough".

The grandeous gestures and entitled stance are shabby covers for his poverty of spirit.  Only through humiliation and power over others is he able to stave off the darkness of his soul, taunting him with a
lifetime of imagined failures.

In the context of recovery he will either self destruct or finally reach out for help when he finds his power is  a punative illusion.  And what can I do, be safe and stay away.  Even at a distance he is casting stones at my competency, my creativity and my light.  In the past my error was to abide by the rule of this tyrant in exchange for calm waters, pretending that the barbs and trips were not so important.  But they were.  Eventually the accumulation was too much.

I want to teach my granchildren how valuable they are.  I want to show them respect and empathy.  I want them to know they are worthy and loved.  I want them to never feel the need to steal the light of another.



1 comment:

  1. I especially love what you say in the last sentence of this post. It is something else how I read your blogs and share many of yr strong beliefs. I feel sad that so many find it unrealistic or naive to live according to solid principles. Also your blog reminds me that being single is a great creative state rather than one that's incomplete or defective. I am happy to be moving. Hopefully it is possible to escape sugar coated lies that encourage self destruction behind. It gets sooo tricky. Doing nothing about it is not an option when you have a right to a quality life. Thank you for writing.-Julia

    ReplyDelete