Friday, October 21, 2011

Leaving on a Jet Plane

Yesterday I was traveling by plane on a trip that took most of the day and a layover. I found myself noticing my interactions with fellow travelers and their interactions with each other. It was an affirming and healing day because it stood in contrast to so many trips I have taken in so many years.

I was complemented twice, once on my hair and another time on my shoes, which was nice enough but what I felt was a global receptivity (empathy) to my surroundings in a way that was easy and natural. Now I do have daily encounters that are affirming and I see the same people in my neighborhood and we share greetings and I find myself asking and listening and being listened to. What I'm experiencing now is traveling on my own terms, in my own way without the dutiful constraints of my partner.

I want to make this post about the positivity that I feel but I cannot do it without describing how traveling with my partner in the past was an experience of absorbing his anxiety and anger. My wifely job as it were, when traveling, was to be in service to his demands and his expectations. I was in a virtual cocoon of focus on him and his needs. Looking back it was anxiety filled from the moment we packed to leave. The pressure of time constrainsts, the idiocy of the TSA, the incorrect seat selection, the annoying person sitting nearby him, the bad attitudes of the flight attendants, the uninformed hotel clerk, the smelly taxi driver and the waiter who could do no right. Then it all happened again in reverse on the way home.

When I travel alone I encounter people who are polite if not generous and it gives me the chance to reciprocate. I'm not the kind to always strike up a long conversation but the small ways in which we recognize each others humanness is soothing and reassuring. Yes, we will make it to our destination, together! We are all in some degree masking our troubles and working on taking the next steps in our personal trials. We are all facing challenging resolutions at home and in our work, with finances, spirituality and health. But when we do it with some dignity and just the smallest amount of respect for each other it makes our time here on earth (and in airports) have some meaning.


Happy trails to you until we meet again, rusty feminists!

No comments:

Post a Comment