Thursday, October 6, 2011

Telling the Truth/I'm not making this shit up

Tonight I was asked about what is the most important thing I have done for self care in my recovery and I found myself answering, "telling the truth and risking that others will not believe me".  In fact, already there are those who create confabulations in response to my testimony.  But, telling the truth is how I am making a road outward from my self imposed capture.


The truth includes my admission of denial and my own frozen responses.  Despite doing what I thought was my best I failed, by my own standard, to listen to my heart and I made choices that were tied to my wish to avoid responsibility.  It was easier to suffer (anxiety, depression, resentment) than to stand in the face of loss and the unknown.  I abandoned my own true voice to avoid abandonment.  The irony is not lost on me. It is I who paid the price.


Today I'm trying to accept the whispers of gossip from those who will not hear my voice.  I take a risk to be denounced.  It is a risk worth taking to save my own soul, yet still sad to feel the betrayal.


No comments:

Post a Comment