Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Let Me Fix Me, by Detaching From You

I've written on the unhealthy choice to fix another in a partnership.  Now I want to share an important tool for fixing oneself that I used to bring light into my circumstance.   One of the best tools I used was Detachment.  I'll bet you've heard it before.  I first heard the term 15 years ago in CoDA meetings (co-dependants anonymous) but didn't master it until much later. I tried but I was largely unsuccessful.  It was hard for me to incorporate Detachment because I was very enmeshed in a pattern of reacting to my partners behavior. I took everything personally and willingly took on his stuff as part of my perceived role in the partnership.

It took a lot of effort on my part to learn how to see that my partner's struggles were not mine.  I can empathize with them and listen but I can do little else.  One easy phrase to remember are the 3 c's: I didn't Cause it, I can't Control it and I can't Cure it.

One very successful technique I used in developing detachment was bio feedback in the form of a hand held gadget from HeartMath.  You can do the same thing through meditation practice or relaxation tapes but this tool gave me real time audio feedback as I calmed my heart rate.  It is about the size of an ipod so I had it with me all the time. Like meditation it is based on conscience breathing and visualization.  Once my heart  rate and breathing were calmed I could detach from emotional triggers when an attempt was made to control and abuse me.  Using this method allowed me to see that he was creating his own tortured envelope of anxiety and fear and that I was outside of that envelope.

When you practise Detachment you will be able to follow through on setting and defending Boundaries. In time, either your partner will modify his behaviors and treat you with compassion or you will have the clarity to leave.


                       Remember to.......BREATHE



No comments:

Post a Comment