Friday, August 12, 2011

You Deserve to Be Happy....really?

A common remark made by concerned friends to those in challenging relationships goes like this; "You deserve to be happy".  It's an offer of empathy and understanding that is given in support when someone you care about is struggling.  When I heard this from time to time it always caused me to reflect because it did not ring true for me.  It was not a lack of happiness per se that I had experienced in my marriage.  Happiness, for me, is a choice that we make despite our daily trials.  I never lacked the opportunity for happiness. It would have served me better for a friend to validate that his words and actions, as I described them, were indeed abusive and that I was not crazy. This is the offer of understanding that women in relationships with abusers need the most.  When we are supported, we are empowered.


In her book Psychotherapy and the Quest for Happiness, E. vanDeurzen writes this about happiness;

To be truly happy is not to relish the simple sensation of happiness, comforting and pleasant thought it may be.  Happiness is a state of mind, which requires me to be open to the world, to others, to myself and to the ideas that inspire me.  The attitude of happiness is one of appreciation rather than condemnation or complaint.  Doing Happiness rather than being happy is to commune with the world as it is, with life as it comes.







No comments:

Post a Comment