Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Why Does He Do That: Lundy Bancroft

"An Abuser is a human being, not an evil monster, but he has a profoundly complex and destructive problem that should not be underestimated. The common view of abusive men as evil, calculating brutes can make it difficult for a woman to recognize her partner's problems. She tends to think: My partner really cares about me and has a good side to him. He has feelings, he's not a sadist. He couldn't be an abuser. She doesn't realize he can have all these positive qualities and still be an abuser."


This quote from Lundy's book is an excellent explanation of why in a relationship with an abuser  it's all too easy for the victim to make excuses for her abusive partner.


When I read Lundy's book I already knew I was married to an abuser. I had read all of Patricia Evans books several years prior. Still I cried all weekend.  This book is a very forthright thesis that will make a clear case for recognizing whether you are in a relationship with an abuser.  If you are, it may be a catalyst for grieving as it was for me.  In either case I recommend this book as it is considered (among women in partnerships with abusers) to be one of the best books to speak to the characteristics of Verbal Abusers.

5 comments:

  1. I'm in the process of reading Lundy Bancroft's book now. I must admit that there are times when I cannot look at him as not being a monster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At various times in the abuse cycle they do act like monsters, just as they sometimes act human. This is why it is so difficult to understand what is going on in the relationship. I'm glad you found the book and I wish you strength and clarity.

    ReplyDelete