Thursday, August 4, 2011

Through the Dark Wood: James Hollis

In this book James Hollis describes the critical passage of mid life, tho he doesn't restrict the thesis to any particular age.  I had his audio book in my car for several months and I had the pleasure of attending his lecture, What Matters Most:Living a More Considered Life. 

Both in the book and at his lecture Dr. Hollis illustrates the way in which we bring our childhood coping skills and ways of thinking into adulthood.  It's probably something you have already considered but his eloquent presentation reinforced for me the importance of examining this.  It is part of the work of the passage through the (Dante's) Dark Wood to recognise and change these patterns or risk psychological distress.  He encourages us to grow out of the illusions of youth and into a spiritual maturity by letting go of beliefs that no longer serve us.  This spoke loud and clear to me as I have tried to face my romantic illusions and the patterns from my own childhood.

Dr. Hollis' description of the psychological and spiritual journey we each face is a reminder that struggle and pain are requisite for change. I was very moved by his words and would encourage you to read any of the many books he has written as a noted Jungian scholar and Analyst.


                             A Mandala from C.G. Jung's Red Book

No comments:

Post a Comment