Friday, September 16, 2011

You Might be a Narcissist If...

 Paul Meier, Lisa Charlebois, Cynthia Munz 
You Might be a Narcissist If…
Healthy people continually self—evaluate and try to learn and grow. They accept feedback from others and understand that they may not always be right in how they view themselves or situations. When it comes to their attention that a certain attitude or behavior is getting in the way of their relationships, goals, or aspirations, they attempt to make changes to improve the quality of their lives. 

It should be noted that it often takes quite a bit of time, consideration, and focus for adults to begin exhibiting new behaviors. Often this is just because old habits can be hard to break. However, the more a person is character disordered (again, it is always on a continuum), the more his thoughts, attitudes, feelings, and behaviors (traits) interfere with his ability to maintain healthy relationships with others. The intensity of his character disorder is defined by his level of insight (whether he is able to view himself realistically ---even after receiving feedback from others), his ability to have empathy for how his behaviors make another person feel, and the degree of motivation he shows to change his behavior because of the insights he lacks in viewing himself and others in a realistic way. Therefore, a person is character disordered when:

1-He lacks realistic insight into himself
2-He tends to project blame onto others (accuses them of doing the things that he is actually doing rather than taking responsibility for his actions).
3-He has little or no care about how his behavior hurts the people he loves.
4-He shows little or no motivation to change.


I like this particular text because it relates the Narcissist's level of disinterest in insight with his degree of Personality Disorder. Wrongly, I thought that the right combination of my self reflection and my  changed  behavior, on behalf of my partner's deficits, would help our marriage make sense.  My deluded belief that I could control and fix another through sheer force of will kept me from accurately seeing that each of us can only be responsible for our own growth and mental health. Finally, I am letting go of my habit of imagined influence over him and simply saving myself (from myself)! And that's how I got here, to the Rusty Feminist.







No comments:

Post a Comment